Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 02 Jul 2023 13:59:49 GMT by soluble
Hi Admin, I am a full-time day trader (Stock, futures and crypto), I literally trade everyday and I dont have any icome gained from other sources, like business or job, properties, all my incomes are soley from Stock, futures, crypto nad bank saving interests. Am I considered having a self-employed business or not? I understand this will decide whether my profits are to be reported as capital gains or income in my self assessment. Could you shed some light on this please? Thanks a lot.
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 08:04:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi soluble,

You need to ascertain if you class yourself as a business -
BIM22015 - Meaning of trade: exceptions and alternatives: betting and gambling - introduction

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 09:49:34 GMT by soluble
Hi Admin, Thanks for your kindly reply. May I ask for your clarification on whether I should submit SA103 or SA108 tax form, considering that I am only a full-time day trader (Stock, futures and crypto) without other sources of icome from business, employment, properties, and I am not classified as a business?
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 12:16:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi soluble,

There is no clear answer to this question, that we can provide on this forum, as there is no statutory definitin of a 'trade'.  
You will need to review the guidance at BIM20000 onwards, to decide if a trade or the venture in the nature of a trade exists.  
BIM20000 - Meaning of trade: contents

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.