Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:58:17 GMT by
Hi I currently work full-time 37.5 hrs earning over the threshold for paying tax, I am about to start a part time job working 15hrs, how will my tax work for my part time job, do I get taxed separately on my 2nd wage or will I be taxed more on my main job to include my second job. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:35:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

If you're taxed over the allowances threshold at your main employment, you'll pay a flat rate of 20% tax at your new, secondary employment (or 40%, if your combined income takes you into the higher rate of tax).
This will be paid directly to us by your secondary employer, as they should operate a tax code of BR.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 17:35:20 GMT by
Hi thank you is there a way I can find out how much tax I'll pay on my 2nd job getting paid £625 pm before tax
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 09:39:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi John Foster,
This would normally be a tax rate of 20% for basic rate
Please guidance here:
Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances
Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2024 22:09:25 GMT by mejla hoxha
Hi there, I have a main job paying me £86k and am due to start a second part time job paying me another £10k. Will the tax code on my first job change?(it’s currently 1257l) Or will I have a different tax code on my second? Many thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 09:59:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi mejla hoxha,
No, the tax code will remain the same at your main job as your overall income will still be below £100K.
For your second job as you have already used your personal allowance and 20% tax band it will be taxed at the higher rate 40% with the code D0.
Please see this guidance: 
What your tax code means
Thank you 
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 09:23:01 GMT by chris F
Hello, this is my first post and I can’t see where one starts a new question, so apologies if I am gate crashing this one!!! I work in the NHS part time at 18.75 hours a week, after retiring two years ago. I have a pension of about £32,000 and a part time wage of about £29,000. This obviously puts me in a higher tax threshold. I also rent out a property bringing in £6,000.00 before expenses. What I don’t understand is, how my tax is worked out. I did briefly talk with HMRC, who tried to explain that there was not a tax code that covered both my pension and my part time wage, so they tax one or the other at a high rate and not the other. To be honest I had no idea what they were on about??? What I do know is, when I log on to my online HMRC account, it says I start paying tax after earning £1,375.00. I thought we all had earnings free of tax until we earned £12,570.00. I really don’t understand why I am paying tax at such a low level of earnings. I hope this makes sense, because it makes little sense to me, even when I read it back!!!
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 06:11:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi chris F,
Everyone is entitled to a tax-free allowance of £12,570.00.
This allowance may be reduced, though, if you receive State Pension, or pay the tax due on your property income through your code.
To allow us to review your code and explain this reduction in your tax-free allowances, contact us by webchat or phone here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you

Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 11:38:23 GMT by AdeleW398
Hi! (like ChrisF, I also can't see where to start my own post or question so I also apologise if this isn't the appropriate place to put forward my own query!) I currently work full time with an annual salary of £25,752, I am considering / wanting to get a second part time job, temporarily, just to help with some extra finances over the next few months. However I only want to do this if it’s financially beneficial, if the tax ends up swallowing most of the earnings then I won’t bother. Could someone please let me know how it all works and how much I would potentially have to pay in tax and national insurance etc? I am happy to work it out myself if it’s explained in percentages. But I’d be grateful for any help/advice as I have absolutely no clue on this! For context, I’d be looking for a minimum wage job, only a few hours each weekend. Worst case scenario, the most I would be looking to earn would be maybe an extra £60-70 a week, so definitely no more than £3-3500 a year total. But again, because this is such a small amount, if it gets swallowed up by tax and national insurance then I won’t bother as it wouldn’t be worth it for me. Please dumb it down and explain it to me like I’m a child if possible lol. I just want to make sure I won’t be leaving myself short or working extra hours for next to no extra money! Thank you very much in advance.
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 11:08:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi AdeleW398,
As your main job will use all your tax free personal allowances (£12,570) 
The 2nd part time job will be taxed on the full amount at basic rate tax (BR)
If you live outside of Scotland the tax band will be 20%.
If you live in Scotlance the tax band will be 21%.
You can find out more here:
Tax codes
The National Insurance rates can be found here:
National Insurance rates and categories
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.