Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:10:32 GMT by
Hi For 10 years I worked overseas and had an ISP (International Saving Plan) through my employer. This was done through Offshore Funds with a well known Investment Company Let's say over the 8 years I put in 10% of my Salary and my Employer put in 5%. These are now invested in 10 different funds in the same scheme in varying amounts and gains/losses. My employer and I have not made any contributions since 2020 I returned to the UK in 2020. In my situation, can I withdraw 5% of the whole fund value per year without paying any tax? I did try to search for this but I could only see info regarding Offshore Bonds & not funds. Thanks in advance
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 10:13:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Titch2,
Please have a look at HS265 for advice on offshore funds.
HS265 Offshore funds Published 6 April 2023
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2024 21:15:45 GMT by Titch3 Findlay
Hi Admin, I have done research and have asked the Investment Company for answers regarding the type of fund I hold. They were not a lot of help at all. I asked them simple questions as described in HMRC guidance which they should tell me ie.Is my investment in reporting/non-reporting funds. No straight answer I checked the list of Reporting Funds and the funds I have is not on there. Not much more I can do but presume my funds are non-reporting I have just withdrawn a bit of the Fund for the 1st time and want to be clear what to put on my self-assessment at the end of the Tax year Opened Investment Jan 2014 (UK Non-Resident) Became UK Resident again July 2020 For simple numbers Over the years mentioned I contributed total $50,000. No more contributions were made after July 2020 being resident in UK The day before my partial withdrawal the Value of the Funds were $100,000 I withdrew $10,000 which was deposited in my UK Bank account in £ using bank XE rate (This was a withdrawal from each of the 10 funds as a percentage) So, as a non-reporting fund, 1st ever withdrawal, no other divestments to me directly & only fund unit value went up /down over that period would my gain be $5,000 (To be entered into OIG Box?) Is my understanding correct? Thanks
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 13:50:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Titch3,
We cannot comment on scenarios, only provide general information / guidance in this forum.  
For an answer to a detailed question of this nature, you would need to contact our webchat facility at Contact HMRC or seek professional advice.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.