Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 18 Jun 2023 21:34:05 GMT by San CA
Hi, I have recently become a tax resident for tax year 2022- 2023 and will be filling my returns as a non dom on remittance basis. I intend to transfer some funds from my home country where I am a registered tax payer and have filled my returns since 2001. I have bank fixed deposits which were made prior to April 2022 before I become a tax resident. These FDs will mature this year and will get automatically transferred to my existing bank account in India. In summary, these are bank fixed deposits made prior to becoming a tax resident (previous assets) and will mature this year. I understand that assets prior to becoming a tax resident will not be taxed in case of remittance into the UK. What kind of documentation do I need to maintain to prove to HMRC that these are assets that I owned prior to becoming a tax resident and
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:53:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Statements or something similar from your bank regarding the account should be sufficient to show that you were not UK resident at the time the income arose and as such, not taxable in the UK.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.