Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 06:54:20 GMT by Colin Littlewood
I have a pension and some savings interest but in total they fall below my tax allowance so I shouldn't be paying any tax but for some reason you have reduced my tax code to take into account tax on savings that I don't owe A side issue is that I was never informed about a change in my tax code I found out when I was checking a payslip from my pension provider how can that be right
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:28:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

I'm sorry you weren't made aware of the change to your code, we usually inform you automatically of any change made to your code, by sending a P2 coding notice. If you have savings interest, and your tax free allowance hasn't been entirely used by any other income, the savings interest will be applied to your code to confirm that your spare tax-free allowances have been utilised. If your savings interest exceeds your remaining tax-free allowance, all additional savings allowances available will then be applied.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 09:26:08 GMT by Colin Littlewood
Hi in response to your reply I have been looking at other threads and on the reporting interest thread one of the replies to lordray says the system assumes you will have the same amount this year and are paying in advance This is what I think is my situation but if I don't owe anything from last year so why am I being asked to pay in advance for this year And also if you normally notify people automatically of tax code changes (I assume this is computer generated) by sending a P2 why did I not receive one something doesn't seem right
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 12:20:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We can only provide general information and guidance in this forum. For an answer to your query you will need to contact our Self Assesment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.