Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Jan 2024 23:54:26 GMT by
Hi If my spouse (based and working in UK) transfers me money (via bank transfer) to support with daily expenses, groceries, credit card charges, etc, does this require me to pay any taxes? Is there any limit to the funds my spouse can transfer me? Regards
Posted Sun, 21 Jan 2024 19:16:05 GMT by
Hello admin team My American sister in-law is looking to gift money to me and my now-wife who recently married. Is there any tax implications on gift money from abroad? Do I need to declare this with HMRC? Any help or further info with this would be greatly appreciated. best,
Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:15:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi agarwal_ravj,
No, this is not taxable and there is no limit/
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:08:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Andy Page,
There are no income tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends.
These would then potentially be subject to tax.
Further guidance can be found here (Tax on savings interest and Tax on dividends).
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 27 Jan 2024 16:34:29 GMT by
Hello Admin, my parents (German citizens living in Germany) want to gift me approx £250000. I am German, working and resident in England for approx 30 years, have German and British citizenship, pay income tax on my salary in the UK. Will I have to pay tax in the UK on the money planned to be transferred to my UK account from Germany ?
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:08:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends. These would then potentially be subject to tax. You can see guidance here:

Tax on savings interest

Tax on dividends

Thank you.  
Posted Sat, 03 Feb 2024 23:51:10 GMT by
Hi, I’m planning to sell my property which I own with my ex partner. I expect the sale will raise about 30.000 to each of us after we pay the mortgage off. I will move back to my homeland immediately after the house sale is completed and want to transfer this money to my own bank account abroad, which I will open shortly before the sale. Do I need to declare the transfer to HMRC or does any taxation apply? Another question. We owned the property for 8 years and it was our only and primary address for the whole ownership period what makes me believe we are eligible for private residence relief on capital gain tax. Even if we are eligible for private residence relief do we still need to declare the money from the sale? MichaelaR
Posted Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:49:46 GMT by
Hi, I'm a UK expat living in the US. I've just sold my UK property. I know I need to pay CGT both in the UK and US. Do I need to pay any tax on transfering the funds from the sale from my UK bank account to my US bank account. Thanks in advance
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 10:30:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi MichaelaR,
There is no need to declare it as long as you are still UK resident at the time of sale as no tax is due. You would need to check the laws of the country you are moving to in respect of the transfer and any potential tax implications.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 11:15:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Jennet Banfield,

That would be for the US authorities to answer.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:26:22 GMT by Kimlee Thompson
If I transfer money from a joint bank account into an NS&I income bond in my name only, who pays the tax on the income… just me on the whole income or is the income split equally between both joint holders for income tax purposes? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:53:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
For the interest in the sole account it will be you only.

Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2024 23:54:04 GMT by Salif BA
Hi I have uk online salary account, I want to transfer money from my UK online salary account to another bank account but it is asking transfer code. How Can i have this transfer code?
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 10:44:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Salif BA,
That is for your bank to advise.
Sorry, this is nothing to do with HMRC.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.