Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:16:31 GMT by
Hello all I am considering collecting my social security a few years earlier than full retirement age. I am a dual US/UK citizen living in the UK and working part time. My husband and I file a US tax return every year. Will I be taxed on SS income - and if so by the UK or USA?
Posted Mon, 24 Jul 2023 07:47:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

EIM76009 advises:
A taxable foreign benefit is any benefit that is payable under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom that is:
substantially similar in character to a benefit listed in Section 660 Table A ITEPA 2003 (see EIM76101) and
payable to a person resident in the UK.  Take a look here EIM76101 - Social security benefits: list of taxable social security benefits
Any foreign social security benefit that is also a pension is not a taxable foreign benefit for the purposes of Part 10 ITEPA 2003 and must be considered as a foreign pension under Part 9 Chapter 4 ITEPA 2003
See EIM75500 here EIM75500 - The taxation of pension income: foreign pensions

Thank you

Posted Sun, 24 Sep 2023 11:35:15 GMT by
hello, Tax Exempt, What to do if tax-exempt status is revoked? Amongst the key take aways of a tax exempt status are how taxpayers are allowed to file a return with the IRS that exempts them from paying any taxes on any net income or profit. Read More here https://trendingghost.com/tax-exempt-status-revoked/

You must be signed in to post in this forum.