Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 02 Jul 2023 18:53:50 GMT by George1966
Can you please advise if I need to declare via Self Assessment, as a UK resident, a small veterans disability pension from the Australian Government? It is paid tax free in Australia 'to compensate veterans for conditions (i.e. injuries or diseases) caused or aggravated by war service or certain defence service on behalf of Australia.' I believe there is a similar UK pension that is tax free so I am assuming one from Australia is too.
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 12:25:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi George1966,

Please refer to Disability pension payments Section 641 ITEPA 2003 to see if your pension falls into these categories

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 21:05:40 GMT by George1966
Hello Again. I believe it would fall into this section as it states Crown service which I assume also covers the Australian Army as it is the same Monarch and service in the Australian Army is considered Crown service in Australia. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 19 Jul 2023 09:12:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
On the basis of the information provided, your Overseas Service Disability Pension falls into the non-taxable category and therefore does not have to be declared in a Self Assessment tax return.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 01 Jul 2024 00:18:38 GMT by Pink105 Pink
Can I please check does a UK Armed forces, service attributal pension which is non taxable due to injuries sustained in service, is this included as income regarding child tax credits.
Posted Thu, 04 Jul 2024 07:37:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Pink105 Pink,
To work out if your income is over the threshold for child benefit, you'll need to work out your 'adjusted net income'.
Your adjusted net income is your total 'taxable income' before any allowances.
As your armed forces pension, in respect of injuries sustained in service, is not taxable; it should not be included when calculating your adjusted net income.
Please have a look here:
High Income Child Benefit Charge
And what counts as income here
Income Tax: introduction
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.