Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 15:53:48 GMT by
Hello, everyone. I arrived in the UK in May 2022. I have now found a remote job as a software developer. The company is based in Portugal. I would like to get some advice on paying taxes. I will pay tax in Ukraine first, but do I need to pay tax here as well? I'm guessing that the answer is yes, so the question is how and when does it happen? And also what is the amount to be paid? I read that there is something called Tax Relief, maybe someone can explain how it works? And the last question, do I need to apply for any self-employed status, etc. or can I just get the money on my Monzo card or Wise account?
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:57:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi 

As you are resident in the UK, the UK has first rights to tax your world-wide income.  
You will need to submit a self assessment tax return, delcaring your foreign income.  
You will need to request a certificate of residence, to send to the Portuguese tax authorities, to ensure that they do not tax from your Portuguese earnings, as they are not taxable in Portugal, since you are working remotely from the UK (How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad).

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.