Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:00:37 GMT by Eleanor
I am a British citizen - I have recently returned from living in Australia for 3 years. I have got a savings account there which I am hoping to transfer across to the UK. As I was self-employed for some of my time there I am just about to pay my tax bill for 2022-2023 (their tax year ends 30th June). Can I transfer money before I pay this or should I pay the bill first? (I have money set aside for my tax bill in a separate part of my account). And do I need to declare any of the money I want to transfer across? It will be about 40 thousand AUD. I also have some money that I earned which I have technically not paid tax on yet as it is from 2023-24 tax year - can I transfer that across (obviously leaving some in my Aus bank account ready for my tax bill) too? Thank you so much!
Posted Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:46:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Any income or gains arising in a tax year outside the UK, when you are not resident in the UK in that tax year, is not taxable in the UK.  
There would be no tax liability arising when transfering you savings to the UK.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 13:43:43 GMT by Eleanor
Thank you. If the tax year overlaps with the U.K. Tax year, do I need to declare that income? (I earned money up until July 2023, ie. After start of U.K. 2023 tax year). I am now working full time in the U.K. many thanks
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:38:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You would need to take the residency tests to confirm if split year treatment applies. If it does, you would be taxable on the income arising after the commencement of your UK residence.  

RDR3 Statutory Residence Test

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.