Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:29:56 GMT by
I have received a letter from HMRC to submit tax return for 2022/23. The letter also states that: "I will no longer receive paper return as I can file it online." However, when I try to login to my online account the system starts my identity verification prior to letting me in. I am providing details from my UK passport and UK driving licence. I also tried face recognition option, but nothing works. The message states to contact HMRC as my identity could not be verified. After calling HMRC and waiting for more than 45 minutes I was advised to contact online support services instead. Calling and waiting another 45 minutes I was told that online support only deals with technical issues and Identity verification is outside of their scope of work. I have called again to helpline number provided in the letter, waiting another 45-50 minutes, then I was told that there may be a mismatch in my personal details held by HMRC. For example this could be misspelling of my name, etc. Thereafter, I was advised to try logging in later after few weeks as there might be an issue with the system or also call to 03002003300 which supposed to be for checking my personal details with HMRC. After calling this number, waiting for ages of course, I was told that they have no access or control on my personal info held by the government and there is nothing they can do about it. I came to the full stop as I don't know what to do and how to access my online account in order to submit my return and pay tax. Can anyone help please? 

Name removed admin . 
Posted Fri, 28 Jul 2023 16:05:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

If you are unable to pass the verification questions being asked you will need to complete a paper tax return for 22/23.
You will need to request the SA100 from our Self Assessment department. You can do this in writing or by clicking 'Ask HMRC Online' and asking to speak with an adviser.
You will then be put in the queue to speak with a Webchat adviser. You can find our contact details here
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.