Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 14 Sep 2023 12:42:55 GMT by
Hi, I have lived and worked in UK since September 2012, paid taxes and NI since then as well. Few years ago i got my Settled Status as well, but i am not UK citizen. I work from uk home address for last 2 and half years for company based in Manchester. I m thinking to go back to my mother country (SLovakia) but need to 100% clarify some things, as i dont want to give up my current job. On top of this (not sure if following have any impact on anything)- i m currently married to my husband, who is hungarian but also lives and work here since 2011, we are separate (not divorced yet) and he doesnt plan to return back. We have 3 year old daughter together, who is british but also slovak citizen. 1. I know there are some double taxation agreements between countries and Slovakia is one of them, but...would i be able to have uk tax relief if i would be permanently living just in Slovakia and work from there for uk based company? If so, how would it work? Would i be paid as i am now and then at end of tax year i would ask for tax refund? OR i would get some special tax code so no taxes would be deducted from my payment? 2. Would i be able to keep my UK bank account and get paid there, or it would have to go on my Slovak account? 3. I know that with settled status i can go out of the uk for 5 years..and after that time i would loose it....is this applies here as well? Would i keep it for 5 years or....in order to be not counted as UK tax resident i would loose it automatically? 4. I m thinking to move back home somewhere between Jun-August....but not later than end of august...how it would be with tax year 2024/2025? if i would move at the end of august,,,i guess that would mean i would have to be counted as uk tax resident for that year, since i would stay here for 4-5 months (April-August) 5. How it would be with NI deductions? 6. How it would affect my pension? i m sure i would be able to claim it for all the years i was working here, but after that...would i get pension from UK or Slovakia if i would live in Slovakia but work for uk company? I know there are many similar questions like this, but all of them are bit different...and also any guides that you provide doesnt confirm my questions for sure, but i need to be as there is too much in stake thank you in advance Dana
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:37:37 GMT by
Can someone reply to this please
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:48:36 GMT by
Can someone reply to this please
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:58:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi DanaBK,

When you leave the UK you should complete form P85.  
On this form you will confirm you are continuing to work for a UK employer and we will check to see if we are able to issue a code of NT (No Tax) to your employer.
You will have to contact your bank to ask them if you will be able to keep your UK bank account if living abroad.  
Regarding your settled status you should contact the Home Office on 020 7035 4745 or by email public.enquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk.  
Their telephone lines are open Monday to Friday 0900am to 500pm.
You should take the Statutory Residence Test on the Gov.UK RDR3: Statutory Residence Test (SRT) notes.
You will need to contact the National Insurance helpline on 0300 200 3500 regarding both your national insurance query and your State Pension one.
Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK (P85)

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:26:21 GMT by
Thanks for the reply. What can be the reason for not issuing this NT tax code? as you wrote that "if we are able"...is there any reason why it wouldnt be possible? based on all information i provided? I would live just in Slovakia...not UK Can you be more specific on these please
Posted Mon, 25 Sep 2023 11:35:07 GMT by
Thanks for the reply. What can be the reason for not issuing this NT tax code? as you wrote that "if we are able"...is there any reason why it wouldnt be possible? based on all information i provided? I would live just in Slovakia...not UK Can you be more specific on these please
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:50:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

We are unable to confirm that a code of NT is applicable until form P85 is received and processed. 

The information you provide on form  P85 will determine whether or not you are eligible for a code of  NT.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.