Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:03:53 GMT by
I intend on making a private pension contribution this tax year and claiming additional tax relief. I have seen other threads referring to HMRC confirming the relief by adjusting the individual's tax code. Can you explain what informs whether a tax code is adjusted or the relief is provided as a rebate/cheque? Can the individual select which they would like? From the 2024 - 2025 tax year I will not be working for around 1 -2 years so I would not want the 'relief' to be in the form of a tax code change given I do not expect to have income to benefit from it. Thank you
Posted Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:55:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

If the pension relief claim is for an earlier tax year then it would be dealt with as a refund to you. If for the current 2023/24 tax year we would amend your code and relief received when code operated by your employer.
If the pension releif is carried foward to your 2024/25 tax code and no income is received from that employer then no relief would be received  through the tax code and would be reviewed at the tax year end.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 16 Feb 2024 15:24:44 GMT by
Hi, thank you for your reply. You've said "If the pension relief claim is for an earlier tax year then it would be dealt with as a refund to you." So if I make the contribution on 01 March 2024 but I don't claim until the 2024/25 tax year starts, then presumably this falls within your statement - i.e. the claim will be for an earlier tax year and would be dealt with as a refund rather than amending my code? Thank you
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:15:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Yes, if you claim tax relief  on personal pension contributions made during the 2023-24 tax year in your 2024 tax return, any repayment due will be made when the return is processed and your 2023 to 2024 tax liability is calculated.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.