Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 14:41:13 GMT by Roy_F
Hi, I'm looking to tidy up my finances and for convenience would like to have all my ISAs transferred into one big fixed-rate ISA. From reading the guidelines, I think I've got the process right, but wanted to check here. I have two ISAs from previous tax years, so shouldn't be too complicated, one matures in January 2024 the other in December 2024. Tax year 2023-24 I want to open a new ISA now and fund it with my savings. Transfer the ISA maturing in Jan 2024 into it, in Jan 2024. Tax year 2024-25 Open a new ISA in May 2024 and fund it with my savings. Transfer the ISA maturing in Dec 2024 into it in Dec 2024. Then (here's the bit I don't really understand,) Can I open a new ISA in Jan 2025 funding it by doing an ISA transfer of both my "new" ISAs? (I appreciate I cannot open two cash ISAs in the same tax year the normal way) Thanks.
Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 13:33:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
There are 4 different types of ISA.  
You can only have 1 of each kind and you can put money into one of each kind of ISA each tax year.  
You will be able to open a new ISA in 24/25.  
Your ISA provider will be able to confirm if there are any obstacles.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 14:44:03 GMT by Roy_F
Hi HMRC Admin 8, When you say ... "You can only have 1 of each kind and you can put money into one of each kind of ISA each tax year. In the case of cash ISAs, do you mean per year? Since my original post, I've been researching more and I got the impression, per year, you can open one cash ISA and fund it with "new" money but you could also transfer existing ISAs into further new cash ISAs as no "new" money was being deposited. This is very confusing. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:15:58 GMT by Roy_F
Hi HMRC Admin 8, - sorry please ignore my previous post, here it is edited with what I thought I typed !!! When you say ... "You can only have 1 of each kind and you can put money into one of each kind of ISA each tax year. In the case of cash ISAs, do you mean one newly funded one per year? Since my original post, I've been researching more and I got the impression, per year, you can open one cash ISA and fund it with "new" money but you could also transfer existing ISAs into further new cash ISAs as no "new" money was being deposited. This is very confusing. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:27:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

That is correct, you can only invest in one of each type of ISA per year and if you transfer money from one ISA to another it does not count towards your allowance.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.