Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 16:48:03 GMT by
Does a whole-of-life policy need to be registered when it is surrendered - when the policy is in trust and it has a surrender value? The guidance online suggests yes " if a policy is surrendered and the cash sum is retained in the trust, the trust would be required to register from that point ". But I'm not sure what 'retained' means because Aviva will pay the surrender value immediately and it wouldn't be retained, in my opinion? Thank you
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 16:40:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Aron Gunningham,
Please refer to:
HS320 Gains on UK life insurance policies (2023)
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 16:51:03 GMT by
Hi, It's a non-qualifying policy. But I'm sorry i'm not sure how this will help me determine whether the trust that overlays the insurance policy needs to be registered at the point of surrender and closing of the investment. Aviva will close the investment and the insurance and pay back the settlor the remaining surrender sum.
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 14:14:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Non qualifying policies that mature or are redeemed, are taxable. The policiy provider will give you a chargeable event certificate, which should be declared in a Self Assessment Tax Return for the trust.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 14:20:25 GMT by
Sorry again.... I'm asking whether this situation calls for the Trust to be registered with the Trust Registration Service. This isn't a question about registering for SA to pay tax. The guidance on TRS is that WOL plans with a surrender value need to be registered if the surrender value is being retained in the trust. The trust will not retain the surrender value, it will be returned immediately to the policyholder. It's not clear if and why this situation would need for the trustees to register on TRS.
Posted Thu, 08 Feb 2024 10:30:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Aron Gunningham,
You would need to clarify this with theTrust Office on 0300 123 1072.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.