Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 06 Nov 2023 11:46:07 GMT by
Hello! I am a Hongkonger who works remotely in the UK for a Hong Kong company. To avoid duplicate tax payment, I would like to pay my tax in the UK and apply for tax exemption in Hong Kong. I know that Hong Kong government will then check with HMRC about the details of my tax payment in the UK. May I know what personal information will HMRC provide to Hong Kong government? Will HMRC give my home address to them? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 09:58:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Albert Chow,
You will need to apply for a certificate of residence - How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:32:50 GMT by
Thank you! Does it mean UK government will provide the certificate of residence to HK government to prove my residency in the UK? It is the only document that UK government would give to HK gov? If so, will the document show my home address? Thank you very much.
Posted Mon, 13 Nov 2023 11:46:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

A certificate of residence would be issued, where we can confirm your UK tax residence and you have a foreign income,
that should be declared in the UK for tax purposes. 

Where there is no overseas income, then instead, a letter of confirmation of residence will be issued and will include your current UK address.

Thank you.  

You must be signed in to post in this forum.