Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 07:59:50 GMT by carol howe
I earn under the £50,000 threshold every year, but my husband has had his P60 for 22'/23' and he earned 54,663 for this tax year. I believe that we have to now pay 10% of the total Child Benefit received for that same tax year - would someone be able to clarify that I have that correct? So in my case, we received 12 payments over 22'-23' totalling £1045.75 therefore I owe HMRC £104.58. Can you advise if I have this process correct and that this is the money we owe back? Also, what is the next step to make the payment back? Do HMRC contact my husband about the payment and if so, when are they likely to get in touch or can I call and make a payment online now? Can I also check that I would be in the same position for next year in April 2024 if we/he earn the same amount of money next year?
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 09:54:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
For every £1000 over the £50,000 limit you pay back £10.
He will need to register for Self-Assessment if he has not already done so.
Whoever is the higher earner needs to complete a Self-Assessment for the year to pay the charge:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.