Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:53:16 GMT by gpopgpop
I am a dual citizen (Australia and UK) and have been a tax resident in Australia for over 12 years. This year my father passed, and his private pension org have sent me a letter, as a beneficiary, stating the amount they will pay and requesting National Insurance numbers along with bank details (to pay into). I understand that it doesn't form party of the inheritance so is absent from the probate process, but that leaves me with questions. If i was living and working in the UK, this would be seen as an income, and from my understanding it would be taxed at the nominal rate of income tax. However, as i am no longer have income tax set up in the UK, and am a tax resident of Australia I am wondering how this plays out. Will the lump sum payment still be taxable in the UK? I have little understanding how this would work across the HMRC and ATO so would be grateful for some guidance. The letter from the private pension org states it will be subject to tax - I just dont know how this works with a different tax residency
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:56:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

Please refer to guidance at Tax on a private pension you inherit.
If your pension is taxable in the UK you would then need to consider relief under the terms of the double taxation treaty to apply for relief - Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.