Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 15:52:30 GMT by
I am currently getting weekly threatening letters stating I owe £1500 in tax from 3 years ago during the first lockdown. The first letter I received last year regarding this matter I phoned HMRC and spoke to someone who explained the reason I owe the tax is because there was no one in the office to update my tax code at that time. And I should wait until after April this year when I receive a second letter in order to be able to set up a payment plan. Well since the second letter has arrived I have been phoning HMRC every day when I get in from work, yet all I get is the same message. "We are too busy to take your call. goodbye". HMRC hangs up. I work from 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday in essential services so I cannot just pause my job just to try and make a phone call? Now HMRC are threatening to move my debt onto a debt collection agency. All because HMRC will not answer the phone despite on their website being listed as being open until 6pm? What can I do?
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:12:19 GMT by
I have exactly the same issue, I have been receiving notifications about tax due but cannot get HMRC to pick up the phone, despite my trying for months. My tax code has also changed every month for the last 6 months, and I am unable to fix it online and they won't pick up the phone when I call. There is no way for me to fix the situation if I cannot get through on the phone.
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 10:02:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi cletschka88,

I apologise if you are having issues getting through to us.
Our helpline is available to accept calls that are in the queue by 6pm.
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.