Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2024 14:25:32 GMT by Chris Jon
Hi there, I have the following situation: Some time ago I went to the bank to cash in 2 cheques: one was an old tax return from HMRC from when I overpaid tax when I was an Employee, and the 2nd one was a more recent tax return from HMRC to recoup some part of the taxes I paid as a self-employed. At the bank, the machine took both cheques, however the amount from the old one from when I was an Employee was blocked by the bank and sent me a letter stating that I had to contact the drawer of the cheque (HMRC) in order to obtain another cheque or an alternative method of payment in order to receive the amount state on that cheque. Now, because I don't have the old cheque anymore, only the letter from the bank, how can I request HMRC to wire the correct amount into my account? I hope there is a way to sort this out and I would greatly appreciate it. Many thanks!
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 15:52:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Chris Jon,
Contact us by webchat or phone via Self Assessment: general enquiries- we can organise to have any cheques that you weren't able to deposit be reissued.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.