Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2024 09:14:42 GMT by Cillian
Hi could someone from HMRC please confirm that you can take the salary sacrifice amount from earned income as I have also been told on the phone by a HMRC rep we can't but everything I read and my understanding is you can?
Posted Tue, 02 Jul 2024 12:22:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi

Salary sacrifice enables you to exchange part of your salary for a non-cash benefit in kind from your employer, such as increased pension contributions or a car, bike etc... Adjusted net income is your total taxable income before any Personal Allowances and less certain tax reliefs If your employer deducts contributions from your gross pay before tax is calculated then you would not deduct again for the adjusted net income as the tax relief would already have been applied and your salary reduced. If the payment is taken after tax is calculated then and it is eligible for tax releif , for example payments made gross to pension schemes (that have been made without tax relief) then these would reduce your adjusted net income, which would then be used to confirm Tax Free Childcare eligibility.< Thanks

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 15:55:44 GMT by ray564k
If I earn £165k, can I salary sacrifice by £70k into my pension to reduce my adjusted net income below £100k? Or does the limit of £60k annual allowance for pension per year mean my adjusted net income cannot be reduced that much?
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2024 09:44:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi ray564k
You can see guidance on calculating your adjusted net income here:
Personal Allowances: adjusted net income
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 12:51:32 GMT by Ryan Snodgrass
Hi HMRC. Can you clarify if the 'Salary sacrifice' for an electric car is counted as a deduction of the NET pay? E.g. you earn 110k per year and pay 20k salary sacrifice therefore your NET earnings are counted as 90k per year (there would then be any benefit in kind to add back onto this)?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2024 05:53:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ryan,
You would not deduct salary sacrafice car payments to calculate your Adjusted Net Income.
Salary sacrafice payments are usually deducted from your wage by your employer before they confirm your gross, taxable wage.
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 14:28:46 GMT by Sam
Hi - If i have spent most of the year so far with an Adjusted Net income of over £125k, but then from this month onwards I contribute more to my pension and as such my adjusted net income is below £100k, would I then immediately become eligible for Tax Free Childcare, or is it per financial year, so Id have to wait until April 2025 to be eligible? Thanks in advance!
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 07:36:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi Sam
You can see guidance here:
Tax-Free Childcare
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 12:49:18 GMT by Almar Kseibi
Hi HMRC, I have a question and I would be grateful if you can help me out. My gross salary is £106000 yearly I pay pension £2400 yearly I have a a BEV on Salary Sacrifice for £7200 yearly I also have £5000 benefit in kind Is my ANI £91400 (106000-2400-7200-5000)? Does the Salary Sacrifice bring the ANI (Adjusted Net Income) down? Thank you so much in advance
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 13:00:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Almar,
Adjusted net income is your total taxable income before any Personal Allowances and less certain tax reliefs. 
If your employer deducts contributions from your gross pay before tax is calculated then you would not deduct again for the adjusted net income.
You can find more details, and work out your adjusted net income here: 
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 20:30:47 GMT by Katherine Featherstone
Hi, When calculating adjusted net income, do you use the current tax year (which will include some forecasting / predicting earnings) or last tax year? I’m on maternity leave so they will be very different figures!
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2024 13:08:06 GMT by beckybu133 Jones
Hi, I am a bit confused by salary sacrifice deductions. My company does salary sacrifice for certain things including if you buy additional holiday. The policy states that this will impact statutory sick pay, maternity pay, therefore does the amount being taken for the additional holiday on a salary sacrifice get taken into account for base salary? If you earn 90,000 and on a salary sacrifice basis have 1730 deducted for additional holiday, does that mean you adjusted income is 88270?
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2024 15:13:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Katherine,
It would be the figures for the tax year you are calculating the income for see:-Personal Allowances: adjusted net income
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2024 16:00:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi Becky
We are unable to comment on specific scenarios. 
Adjusted net income is your total taxable income before any Personal Allowances and less certain tax reliefs.
‘Tax relief’ means that you either:
  • Pay less tax to take account of money you’ve spent on specific things, like business expenses if you’re self-employed. Or,
  • Get tax back or get it repaid in another way, like into a personal pension
If your employer deducts contributions from your gross pay before tax is calculated then you would not deduct again for the adjusted net income as the tax relief would already have been applied and your salary reduced.
If you make contributions eligible for tax relief from your net wage (after tax), for example payments made gross to pension schemes, then these would reduce your adjusted net income. 
You can find more details, and work out your adjusted net income here: 
Thank you.

Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2024 06:34:03 GMT by Rob 5
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.