Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 07 May 2023 09:26:26 GMT by
I am taking on a second job on a temporary basis for about 5 weeks. I will be paid for this work at the end of the 5 weeks. What action do I need to take with the HMRC to inform them of this additional income for tax purposes. thank you
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 14:41:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi carol,

If this is reported as an employment then you will not need to take any action.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 12:13:36 GMT by
Hello, Not sure how to post a thread on here so hope someone can help with this. Tried contacting HMRC several times but it's almost impossible to get through. Posting on behalf of someone; Need some clarification on a second job please. First job is full time employment paying all the relevant taxes. Second job is ad-hoc so it's not regular work and is working as an audio typist from home as and when. It pays very little money but would be classed as self employed - we think My understanding is there is no tax to pay on this second job as it's not regular work and you can barely make £100 after 6 months. Is this right ? How much can I earn on the second job before paying taxes ? Also do we take out expenses such as heating and electricity ? Tried looking for answers online and there's mixed answers can someone please clarify ?
Posted Wed, 05 Jul 2023 15:42:22 GMT by
Hi, I just started a second job. I want this job to be my main job and my personal allowance to be transferred to it. I want my initial job to be my second job. How do I go about this ?
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 10:07:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Tallulahbell a
Please see:
Trading allowance
Thankyou.
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:30:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Ayodeji,

If you contact our Income Tax team a few days after you have first been paid, we can look into this for you.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:26:31 GMT by
@hmrc I've looked at the trading allowance do I still need to declare my second job to yourselves ?? I don't make anything near 1k in my second job
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:23:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You will not need to declare it.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 17:44:05 GMT by Liba2569
Hello, I have a full time job and in December 2023 I began casually freelancing, I earned £500 between Dec-Jan. I have not yet registered as a sole trader because I was under an impression I have until October of 2024 to do. In addition, I did not disclose my income as it was below the £1,000 personal allowance that I was told you have in addition to your full time job. However I have just been notified that I have a deduction of over £200 for the next year from an underpayment this tax year. Income from my full time job did not increase during the year therefore I am wondering is it due to the side hussle and if so was my understanding wrong and I should have disclosed this income? If so is it too late to contact hmrc and disclose it now? If the money was taxed it would be taxed on the gross I was paid I assume and minus the deductions for software/equipment etc I would of actually been at a £100 profit instead. Please advise, thank you in advance
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 14:00:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Liba2569,
You will need to contact HMRC to check the underpayment Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2024 19:26:29 GMT by Clare Murdoch
Hi there, I am due to start a new job in the next month, the new job will become my main job and my current job will become my second job, because I will be earning over £12,750 per year I will pay tax. I would like my main job to have my tax allowances applied to it and my second job to have the 'BR' tax code, will this just happen automatically when they receive information from my new main employer ? Thanks
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:20:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
No, you will need to contact us directly to discuss if you are able to switch your primary and secondary employers - your employer will need to receive formal communication from HMRC to make the required adjustments to your employment status and tax code with them.
Contact us by webchat or phone via:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:11:49 GMT by Jody Worrall
I’m currently working part time and earn under the personal allowance , if I have a second job will I have to pay tax on both jobs or just earnings over the threshold ?
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 08:32:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You would pay tax on earnings over your Personal Allowance threshold. If you are not using all of your Personal Allowance at your first job then the remaining allowance can be allocated to the second job. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.