Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 00:48:30 GMT by wingsham
Hi, I used to pay the income tax with cheque when I was living in UK but now I wish to pay online as I am living abroad. (1) For 2023/2024 my tax bill is 2250 pounds, to check which is the best online payment option, I paid 20 pounds with online bank transfer and 30 pounds with personal debit card. Just found out that I should make the full payment at once, please advise what will happens to the 50 pounds that I just paid and would it confuse the system when I come to make the full payment later? (2) I heard that there is a limit on how many times you can use your personal debit card to pay income tax for a tax year, please confirm if this is the case and what is the limit? Thanks
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 08:49:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi wingsham,
Datails of payment methods available here:
Pay your Self Assessment tax bill
The £50 you have already paid will be allocated to your account and you can thern pay any remaining balance outstanding.
No, there is not a limit.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 04:36:55 GMT by wingsham
Hi, Thanks for your info. I have just paid the 2023/2024 full balancing and first payment on account (2250 pounds) and from my online tax account, I can see I am 2250 pounds in credit. However, when I checked the "Payments/credits received" section, for the 2250 pounds payment entry, under the "description" there is a "payment" link, when I clicked on this link, it shows "not yet used" under the "allocated to" title. Please advise this is normal and I have nothing to worry about and when would it change to "balancing payment..." from "not yet used"? Thanks
Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 10:51:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi wingsham,
What you're seeing there is normal - as the payment on account is not yet due, the amount you've paid will sit as a credit.
When the payment on account becomes due on 31/01/25, your payment will automatically be allocated towards that.
If you'd like us to check your Self Assessment statement, though, just contact us by webchat or post via Self Assessment: general enquiries.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.