Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:43:32 GMT by Normany001
HI I wonder if you can help, I have been non resident for over 10 years and have a Gibraltar based QROPS pension which is subject to Gibraltar taxes. I have now relocated back to the UK and wonder if I will end up with double taxation or will the tax I pay in Gibraltar be offset against UK tax. I have read the double taxation agreement between the UK and Gibraltar and to be honest I could not find where this situation was addressed, please can you advise?
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 15:12:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi ,
Article 17 of the double taxation agreement between the UK and Gibralta, advises
"Pensions and other similar remuneration arising in a territory may be taxed in that territory". 

This means that your Gibralta pension is still taxable in Gibralta, however, as a UK resident, you are taxable in the UK on your world-wide
income and capital gains and must declare your world-wide income and gains in a self assessment tax return (SA100 and supplementary pages). 

You should declare this pension and foreign tax deducted in SA108(foreign). 

You would claim a tax credit of up to 100% of the foreign tax paid, to avoid double taxation . 

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 20:12:34 GMT by Normany001
That's great,thank you for the help.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.