Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 19:07:16 GMT by Gareth Williams
Hi, I work a part time job 22hrs a week as my main occupation. For one week a year, I work on a zero hours contract for another company, earning another bit of money not as much as my main job. This is the only time I earn money from this company. What would be my situation regarding tax? I am currently taxed on the code C1232L
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 15:38:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
You can Contact HMRC to allocate a split in your allowances, if your main occupation does not utilise the full amount of your personal allowance.
If you're taxed at BR on your secondary source, it would likely result in waiting for the tax year to finish to claim any (if any) overpaid tax. 
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 15:43:57 GMT by Gareth Williams
Hi, do I do this when I am paid from the second company or could I do it now? Many thanks
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2024 14:45:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

You would need to do this once we have details of the secondary employment, which can take up to 5 weeks from the employer registering your details.

Once we receive details of the payment, if this is going to be a one off payment for the year, it would potentially be too late to issue an amended code for that year, but if the employment will stay live (as in you won't receive a P45), the tax code could be arranged for the following tax year if this should be a yearly occurence.  

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.