Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:46:30 GMT by
Dear Sir/Madam, I am a dual citizen with British and Polish nationality. My country of resistance and employment is the UK where I pay all taxes, although I am still registered at a family address in Poland. Now my grandparents would like to gift me a larger sum of money, significantly above the UK annual gift allowance. As the gifting would 'take place' in Poland from their local account into my polish account, my intention was to declare it to the Polish tax office and settle any applicable taxes there. I would then like to transfer it from my polish account into a UK account. Could I please confirm whether, considering the double taxation agreement between the countries, I would still be liable to paying any taxes on this in the UK/would the inheritance tax rules still apply? Would I also need to submit any formal declaration to the HMRC when transferring the money to the UK? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:06:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

There are no income tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends.
These would then potentially be subject to tax. Further guidance can be found here (Tax on savings interest and Tax on dividends). 

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.