Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:20:34 GMT by
Hi, I've read "CRYPTO21250 - Cryptoassets for individuals: Income Tax: airdrops" but looking for more clarity. I have received a retroactive airdrop and I'm unsure whether this is subject to income tax. I received the airdrop as I had, in the past, used a certain app. The guidance states: "Income Tax will not always apply to airdropped tokens received in a personal capacity. Income Tax may not apply if they’re received: without doing anything in return (for example, not related to any service or other conditions)" When I used the app, there was no public information that an airdrop was planned. I did not know I would receive an airdrop or that I was doing anything in return to potentially receive one in the future. I was experimenting with new software and did not expect to gain financially. Would this be subject to income tax? I know once the airdrop has been sold, it is subject to CGT. Thank you. Ben
Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 10:44:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Ben Ali,

From the details provided, you do not appear to meet the conditions at - "without doing anything in return (for example, not related to any service or other conditions)
not as part of a trade or business involving cryptoasset exchange tokens or mining - and as such, no income tax is due."

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:13:23 GMT by MJ K
HI how about capital gain tax? or any other tax i need to pay for this situation?
Posted Thu, 17 Aug 2023 08:56:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi MJK,

Please refer to guidance at:-  CRYPTO21250 - Cryptoassets for individuals: Income Tax: airdrops

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.