Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 14:14:02 GMT by Alex Kelly
My identity has been stolen and someone's informed HMRC I'm employed by a company I've never heard of (Evaldazzz) and told them I'll be earning 72k this year. I'm aware several other people have been a victim of this fraud. I'm now being taxed at the 40% rate and I'm only on £12 ph, and it's putting me in significant financial hardship. I'm facing homelessness and going hungry. I've managed to speak to HMRC and they've said there's nothing they can do until they've completed an investigation, and they say they're unable to give me a timeframe. I'm still waiting for someone from HMRC to contact me for more details. Howcome someone's able to change my tax code with HMRC without my authorisation, yet HMRC are unable to correct this at my request? Can't I be put on the BR tax code until the investigation is complete? Why do I have to face extreme financial hardship when I'm the victim of fraud, and this is HMRC's mistake?
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 13:17:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,
Unfortunately we cannot comment on this matter on the the forum, as this issue is currently under investigation. 
If you wish to contact HMRC regarding your situtation, please see the link below.
Report tax fraud or avoidance to HMRC
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.