Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 12 May 2022 10:21:32 GMT by sarahjacquesxo
Hi there, I am due to start a new job in the next couple of months, the new job will become my main job and my current job will become my second job, because I will be earning over £12,750 per year I will pay tax. I understand that my main job will have the 1275L tax code and my second job will have the 'BR' tax code, will this just happen automatically when they receive information from my new main employer ? Thanks
Posted Thu, 12 May 2022 16:47:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If we already have the employment that will become your 'second' job on record, this would currently be using your personal allowance.
If you contact our Income Tax department a week after your first pay from your new job, we would be able switch your tax allowance onto the new job.
Posted Mon, 01 Aug 2022 20:10:59 GMT by Adam Nelson
Hello, my son has just turned 16. He delivers newspapers for a national retail chain and earns £10.50 a week (and a bit more if he does other rou ds). He has just started doing occasional shifts at the local, independent boat hire centre, and earns £40 a day. They have just paid for his first two shifts but deducted basic rate as he has two jobs. As he is now 16 both jobs pay him by BACS. Can you correct his tax code so he doesn't pay basic rate tax ?He won't earn anything remotely near £12k a year. Surely there is a pragmatic solution to this.Thanks
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 12:10:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 24

We would be able to split his tax allowance between the jobs, this would need to be done with our Income Tax helpline.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:02:39 GMT by Rainbow Langdale-smith
Hi, I've just TUPEd into a new organisation and in doing so it has messed up my tax code on my second job which is very low paid, pushing it to the 40% rate when it was BR. Combined with my main job I am still under the 40% threshold so it is wrong, but I can't see how to correct this all on HMRC. I also should have WFH tax allowance due to the specifics of my main role but that's lost too. Is all so frustrating.
Posted Fri, 20 Jan 2023 12:36:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Rainbow Langdale-smith,

If you contact our helpline we will be able to ensure that your tax codes are updated correctly
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 06 Feb 2023 12:04:21 GMT by Courtz
Hi, I have an apprenticeship but at athe end of the year I will be earning over the tax amount I do have a second job however this is a 0 hour contract I'm managing my hours at the moment to stay below the tax amount. However when I earn above in my apprenticeship how will tax work with my second job as I'm not guaranteed any wage or how many hours I work. Thanks
Posted Fri, 10 Feb 2023 12:38:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you earn over the tax allowance at your main job, you would pay tax on all the income from the second job.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:47:54 GMT by KarenH20
Hi My main job has the tax code t. I have a personal pension which has tax code L. Should it not be the other way round? I earn more in my main job. Thanks
Posted Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:56:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Pensions are usually held as the main source of income on the record, if you have a Personal Tax Account

you can updated the estimated income for each source and this will ensure we allocate your allowances in the most beneficial way.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.