Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Jun 2023 19:56:29 GMT by
Dear HMRC, Is there any gift tax in the U.K.? If so, what constitutes a gift? If my father who resides in The Netherlands transferred me £25,000 per year to supplement my living costs (e.g. rent, food etc.), would this count as a gift? Is it taxable in the U.K.? What if my father who resides in The Netherlands gifted me a share of a property in The Netherlands worth £250,000? Would this be taxable in the U.K.? Many thanks.
Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 12:52:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi Agnieszka,

You will not need to report the transfer. However, as you were resident in the UK when the property was sold, you need to declare the capital gain here.

Capital Gains Tax: what you pay it on, rates and allowances

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 14:11:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi yasminliverpool,
There are no income tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends.
These would then potentially be subject to tax.
 Further guidance can be found here:
(Tax on savings interest
Tax on dividends
 For the transfer of the property, you would only need to declare any income this generates either from rental or from selling. 

Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2023 14:31:14 GMT by Berry12
Dear HMRC, I have received a substantial tax gift from my parents in Greece. This has been declared to the Greek Inland Revenue for tax purposes. I would like to transfer the money from Greece to my UK bank account. I am a UK resident and I file self-assessments. Do I need to declare the money to HMRC? Will it be taxed? Is there a limit to the money I can transfer for UK tax purposes? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:18:14 GMT by
Dear HMRC, 1. I am a British citizen currently residing in India. If my sister gifts £50,000 from her savings account in India to my UK account, do I need to pay tax ? If yes, then please advise on further procedure. Kind regards, Aniket
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:34:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi Berry12,

There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends. These would then potentially be subject to tax.  

Further guidance can be found here.

Tax on savings interest

Tax on dividends

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 20:27:49 GMT by
Hello, I have been a UK resident for nearly 5 years from Colombia with my children, I am not a citizen. I am separated (but not divorced) from my husband who moved back to Colombia 3 years ago and he is going to send around £40,000 to make up for missed child maintenance payments. I have a full time job earning £26,000 and I receive child benefit, do I have to declare this money or pay any taxes? Many thanks
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 20:30:49 GMT by
Hi I am a UK resident under ILR, my brothers in the USA sent me £12,000 as a gift, and my parents living abroad gave me £10,000 cash as a gift as well, do I have to pay tax?
Posted Fri, 23 Jun 2023 00:06:11 GMT by
Hello, I’m a British citizen and my parents want to gift me some money. They want to transfer money to my current account in the UK, from the business (not current account) in the UAE. 1) Would I need to pay any tax because this gift is coming from a business bank account? 2) is there a limit on how much they can transfer?
Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 12:46:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi Aniket,

There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends. These would then potentially be subject to tax. You can see further guidance here:

Tax on savings interest

Tax on dividends

Thank you 
Posted Tue, 27 Jun 2023 11:08:30 GMT by
Hello! I am a UK resident (student now, going on grad visa) and my family are residents in Montenegro. We are planning to purchase a property in England in my name. The property would cost around £700k. At first we were thinking to transfer funds from my father's Montenegrin account to a solicitor as a gift, and put the property in my name, as the owner. Would there be any taxes during or post-purchase in this case? Does the 7-year rule apply in this case? Thank you!!
Posted Tue, 27 Jun 2023 13:23:15 GMT by
Hi, Hope you are doing well. Gifts and Donations are tax free everywhere. No more worries about this. Have a great day!
Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 07:33:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Diana,
There are no income tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends.
Tax on savings interest
Tax on dividends
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 07:50:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi noory015,
Tax on savings interest
Tax on dividends
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 07:58:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Ololol,

Further guidance can be found here Tax on savings interest and Tax on dividends.  

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:29:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi marina.m.m.,

There are no tax implications on the giving or receipt of cash gifts, but you may wish to speak to inheritance tax regarding any inheritance tax
implications Inheritance Tax: general enquiries.  
You may also want to review the guidance at How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 01 Jul 2023 07:56:05 GMT by
Hello, I am italian, I live and work in the U.K. I am receiving some money (€75k)from Italy as a gift from my parents to buy a house. If I transfer this money in my current U.K. bank account or saving account I will have to pay taxes because I will get interests. Are the taxes going to be on the interests only or on the lump sum (75k+interest)? Thank you!!
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 12:18:53 GMT by
Hi, I am a Pakistani resident, living in the UK since 9 years on student visa and now have applied for tier 2 visa. One of my friend is giving me a gift money, a sum of £100,000 towards a purchase of an apartment in London. Is that possible to do so, without any legal complications? Do I need to pay any tax on it or declare the amount? Thank you
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 21:48:54 GMT by
My friend wants to give me a loan of £100000 from Dubai to help me to buy a house in UK. He will transfer this amount to me in my uk bank account . Will there be any tax on this amount and if I have to report this to HMRC ?
Posted Wed, 05 Jul 2023 12:09:21 GMT by
Hello, My father passed away last year in Mexico. He was a Mexican citizen and not a UK citizen. I am a UK citizen and taxpayer and have a UK bank account. He has left us a property through his inheritance, which we are due to sell and receive the cash from the proceeds. Inheritance tax and tax from the sale of the property is being paid in Mexico, and the resultant money from the sale will be split between myself and my brother. We plan to do a cash gift transfer to our UK bank, roughly £230K. Will I have to pay any income tax or tax to receive that money into my UK account? Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.