Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 14:32:00 GMT by
Hi, I am trying to find out the tax implications of a Royal London Money Market fund called, "Royal London Short Term Money Market Y Acc." As the name suggests it is an accumulating fund. The fund is domiciled in the UK. Here is the KIID:  I am trying to find out the tax treatment of the investment. I have tried contacting Royal London, they do not know and they said I needed to contact HMRC. Someone on the HMRC helpline told me that the only tax payable on the investment is CGT, and this is payable only upon disposal. Elsewhere I have heard that tax is due on 'notional distributions.' Is that the case with investments in this fund? If so, how do I find out / work out the amount of any tax due on 'notional distributions' and when I become liable for this tax, please?

[External Link Removed - Admin]
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 08:42:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Eric01 Kendall,
Accumulation funds are funds that automatically reinvest in the fund.
The distribution are chargeable to income tax.
Investors in Authorised Investment Funds (AIFs) may receive dividend distributions or interest distributions.
IFM03120 discusses the tax treatment of AIFs.
IFM03200 - Investors in authorised investment funds (AIFs) receiving trail commission
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:41:44 GMT by
Hi, Thanks very much for your response. So, I need to pay tax on the interest. When do I need to pay the tax, please? For example, if I bought the units in the fund on 01/01/22 and sell the units on 31/12/22 when do I pay the tax? Do I simply calculate the uplift (based on the increase in value of the fund units) in the fund from 01/01/22 to 05/04/22 and include that in my 21/22 Self Assessment, then calculate the uplift in the fund from 06/04/22 to 31/12/22 and include that in my 22/23 Self Assessment? The IFM documents you pointed me towards do not provide that information so some guidance would be appreciated please. Many thanks
Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 15:27:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Eric01 Kendall,

This is within the 22/23 tax year so you will show this information on your tax return, the due date for tax to be paid is 31/1/24.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 17:38:53 GMT by
Hi, I am sorry, I do not understand your response. In my example, I owned the units in the Money Market fund in two tax years i.e. 21/22 and 22/23. This was the example: If I bought the units in the fund on 01/01/22 and sell the units on 31/12/22 when do I pay the tax? Do I simply calculate the uplift (based on the increase in value of the fund units) in the fund from 01/01/22 to 05/04/22 and include that in my 21/22 Self Assessment, then calculate the uplift in the fund from 06/04/22 to 31/12/22 and include that in my 22/23 Self Assessment? Are you saying that I only pay the tax in the year that I sell the units in the Money Market fund, so if I own the units for 10 years I only pay the tax in the final tax year?? Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 12:05:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Eric01 Kendall,

You will only pay the tax when you sell them and in your example this is the 22/23 tax year, the due date for tax to be paid is 31/1/24.

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 17:09:21 GMT by
Hi, Ok, you are telling me that the only year in which I report this notional income from the Accumulating fund is for the tax year in which I sell the units. So if I owe the units for 10 years, I only pay tax for the final year. I just want to double check that this is the case. Elsewhere on the internet I have read descriptions that say you report the tax on the notional interest in every tax year in which you own the units. Which of these two descriptions is correct? Is there any legislation / tax rules that exist that clarify this for certain please? I just want to pay the right amount of tax! Many thanks.
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:57:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

The guidance at IFM3120 advises that income arising during a distribution period is not distributed to investors as cash, but is retained in the fund as an additional captital investment on behalf of the investor. The amounts reinvested are taxed as income accruing to investors in the same way as if it had been distributed.  

This means that you are taxed each year on the amount reinvested in the same way as if it had been paid in cash. This prevents investors delaying payment of Income Tax, through long term accumulation of income.  

IFM03120 - Investors in authorised investment funds (AIFs): accumulation units

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 20:57:06 GMT by
Hi I bought the Royal London Short Term Money Market Y Acc in May 2023 and sold it in October 2023. Do I need to report this gain as income or capital gain?
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:16:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Accumulation funds are funds that automatically reinvest in the fund. The distributions are chargeable to Income Tax.

Investors in Authorised Investment Funds (AIFs) may receive dividend distributions or interest distributions. You can see further guidance here:

IFM03120 - Investors in authorised investment funds (AIFs): accumulation units

IFM03200 - Investors in authorised investment funds (AIFs) receiving trail commission

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.