Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2024 20:53:19 GMT by Eric_2024
Dear Sir/Madam My mother passed away in Feb/2023 and she never resided in the UK. According to my mother’s will, my sister (also the executor) is entitled solely (100%) to her rental property (“Flat A”) in Hong Kong. During the administration period, tenant of Flat A was still paying monthly rents to my mother’s bank account in Hong Kong. After the probate was granted and we were able to access/distribute the funds in my mother’s bank account abovementioned, my sister transferred me some rents from Flat A (as a gift). May I ask if the rents from Flat A that were given to me by my sister is counted as my taxable income and be reported through SA107? Separately, I recently found out that I was mistakenly given more dividends, which were accrued during the administration period, than what I was entitled to based on the number of stocks that my mother had left me under her will. The excess dividends were sent to me in Oct/2023 and I have already returned them in Sept/2024. May I ask if the excess amount that I received in Oct/2023 is counted as my taxable income for tax year 2023/2024, in addition to my fair share of dividend incomes? Thanks in advance for your time! Eric
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2024 11:08:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide specific advice tailored to individual circumstances on this forum. This forum is for general queries only and is intended to help you self-serve. 
You are able to contact our Self Assessment team for advice. 
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Alternatively, you may wish to engage the services of a professional advisor/accountant to assist with your enquiry.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.