Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 17:27:55 GMT by
Question : I have two jobs but I haven't declare to my both employers. Both job I am paying NIC at 12% rate. However if i calculate my NIC at the end of year I can see I am paying too much NI. 1. In this case am I able to make refund my overpaid NI ? 2. If I am able to make refund, then how can I make that without inform my both employer ?
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 09:54:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Customers who have two or more employments in a tax year should receive a form CA4361 via post inviting you to claim a refund of any overpaid NICs.  
You then have an option to contact our NI Enquiry line with the details and assuming all the details you have match what we hold on the system, we can then arrange for a Faster Payment into your Bank Account.  
If there are any differences you will be asked to complete and return the form CA4361 for us to investigate.  
Employers are not involved in this process.
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 13 Aug 2023 16:44:41 GMT by
If customer receive a letter by post ( like HMRC does for if customer owe any tax or due ) that would be absolutely awesome. Few more query please : Scenario : 01. if I have more then one job, is both jobs has to be continue for whole tax year ( EG : 12 month or 52 weeks) ? 02. What will happened if my 1st job continued for whole tax year but my 2nd & 3rd . . job continued for 6/7 month during the same tax year ? For both scenario am I able to receive a CA4361 letter via post ? Reason for asking, I don't want to deferment my class 1 NIC's. Because I don't want to give any information to my all employers that I have more then on job. Doing one job is very hard to face today's cost of living crisis. Hope you understand. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Aug 2023 15:54:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Asif1994
If you have more than one job in a tax year both jobs do NOT have to be worked for the full year to create a potential refund, but the Excess NIC you may have paid can not be calculated until the end of the relevant tax year when all employments in that year are completed with final year submissions.
You will receive one form with all employments within that year.
You may therefore need all relevant P60’s in order to confirm all details match with our records.
If you don’t want to telephone our Helpline to confirm details over phone, you can simply complete and return the form including copies of P60’s for us to verify details. We do not disclose any information about this to any of your employers as this is your personal information, which we take care to protect.  
I hope this gives you assurance.  
Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 04 Nov 2023 15:35:18 GMT by
Hi Woud it be possible to advise where I can download a CA4361 form please? Many Thanks Shanying Wan
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 08:49:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi shanying wan,
You can not download this form.
If you think you are due a refund of National insurance you can firstly try the “Claim a National Insurance refund
The year you wish for a refund depends on the processes involved.
CA4361 is a form sent out to check details of National Insurance contributions paid in a relevant tax year for multiple employments.
HMRC issue this form either automatically or manually if there is a potential overpayment of National Insurance.
You can either complete the form and post it back to HMRC or call the NI helpline on 0300 200 3500.
If there is a refund due you may be able to provide the relevant pieces of information we require over the phone.
You will need your documents for the relevant tax year when they call us – P60/P45 or the final payslip.
If a CA4361 has already been issued and they just require a copy, we can re-issue one manually after a phone call/web chat/letter to us.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2024 22:39:06 GMT by Sana
Hello I would like to know can I claim National insurance back for 2 year's because I was doing 2 jobs and paid excess national insurance.When I have asked HMRC they said there system is showing no National insurance refund.But I will drop here my earnings for 2 years with Tax I have paid and National insurance I have paid.Please tell me whether I will get refund or not because as I have calculated it should be 10 percent but my National insurance deducted for 2 years maybe 20 percent.Please let me know whether I am doing any calculations wrong here. Year 2022-2023 Earnings 13266 Tax 212.40 National insurance 384.92 Year 2023-2024 Earnings 5648 Tax 397.20 National insurance 217.47 It clearly shows that I have paid more National insurance then tax but HMRC says there system shows there is no refund. Please help me.
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2024 09:31:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Firstly, when wanting to apply for a refund of National Insurance you should contact your past employer/employers. If you either. cannot, do not want to or your employer is refusing to help, you must write to HMRC to request a refund. Please find the address below:

Payment Reconciliation Team
National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AN

You will need to sign the letter and include:
  • why you think you have overpaid
  • which tax years and which class of National Insurance contributions (NICs) are overpaid
  • your National Insurance number
  • if employed, a copy of a P60 or statement from your employer or employers showing NICs deducted from wages during the tax year/s you are requesting a refund for.
  • a bank account name, sort code and account number for any refund due to be paid into
  • that you do not wish to contact yourr employer or your employer has refused to refund them
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.