Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 20:54:38 GMT by Duncan
Hello. In the 23 - 24 tax year I earned approx.. £2,700 interest from savings (majority of which was from a one year fixed rate account). I am a basic rate tax payer and I understand my tax free allowance for personal savings will be £1000. I am very confused as to what I need to do to notify HMRC of my interest so I can pay the correct tax and whether I need to complete a self - assessment to pay the additional tax which I have never had to do before. I read that the financial institutions are supposed to inform HMRC of interest accrued and if I go over my allowance my tax code is adjusted to accommodate this (I am not sure how we are notified of this) however the institution from which I received the majority of my interest has stated they do not do this and it is my responsibility, which seems to go against all I have read and has added to the confusion. When I used the self - assessment questionnaire on the gov.uk website which asks a number of questions to determine if a tax return is required, it stated I did not, however it appears to indicate that I only need to complete a self - assessment if interest accrued is over £10,000? In which case, please could you advise how I notify HMRC of the interest that I have earned this tax year if I am not able to complete a self - assessment due to earning less than £10,000 interest and seemingly the financial institution will not do if for me. Thank you very much!
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 08:25:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi 

Contact us by webchat or phone via Self Assessment: general enquiries - we can check to see whether your bank or building society has informed of us of your interest, and update your account with this interest if necessary.

Thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.