Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 14:17:52 GMT by Horseage
I am taking 1,260 pounds of tax allowance from my wife as she is not paying tax on her pension. We now have savings which generates interest over the interest tax allowance. Will I now lose the marriage allowance? And how do I work out what her and my interest allowance is against are marriage allowance figures.
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:12:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Horseage,
The Marriage Allowance would not automatically be removed.
If tax is due on the amount HMRC will issue a tax calculation.
Please see:
Tax on savings interest
Posted Sat, 12 Aug 2023 15:39:12 GMT by Horseage
Thank you, HMRC admin 25. Much appreciated, I hope I understood the calculation. My allowance, I assume is still £1000, as I am a taxpayer at 20% regardless of my marriage tax allowance increase. My wife's interest tax allowance, I have assumed is calculated as follows:- Reduced tax allowance due to me taking marriage allowance, ie £12,570 - £1,260 = £11,310 minus her annual income say £9000 giving a allowable interest tax rate of £2,310. If her annual income was much lower, she would benefit from a interest tax allowance of up to £5000. If possible, would appreciate any further comments as to whether this is the right approach. Kind regards, Horseage.
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:15:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Horseage,

You are correct.
Her starting point would be the reduced personal allowance following the transfer.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 16:52:35 GMT by Horseage
Thank you, HMRC admin 20. Much appreciated. Kind regards, Horseage.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.