Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Jul 2023 10:41:48 GMT by
Hello, I currently have a S&S ISA with Hargreaves Landsdown which I have had for years and contributed earlier this month £500 to, I opened a S&S ISA with IG on 24/07/2023 and contributed £1600 to it. In total I have contributed £2,100 to S&S ISAs which is well below the £20,000 I was made aware yesterday by a friend that I am not allowed to contribute into 2 different S&S ISAs in the same tax year even if I am well below the £20,000 overall limit. What do I need to do here to rectify this as I obviously don't want to lose my tax benefits for my Hargreaves Landsdown ISA which I have had for years? Do I need to just close my newly opened IG S&S ISA? Can I then still continue to contribute to my Hargreaves Landsdown S&S ISA for this year as I obviously have a lot let until the £20,000 limit? Please advise. Regards, 
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 18:09:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi iliyan_velikov Velikov,

You will need to close one of them as you can only have 1 and HMRC will contact you in due course.

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 18:37:21 GMT by
Hello. Thank you for your reply. I have requested IG to close my ISA so I will only keep the Hargreaves Landsdown one. From my understanding in the next tax year I can open an ISA with IG but I can only contribute to that one for the whole tax year and not to both of them in the same tax year? Regards, Iliyan
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 13:49:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Every tax year you can put money into one of each kind of ISA. The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April. You can save up to £20,000 in one type of account or split the allowance across some or all of the other types.

Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)

If you have more than 1 ISA of the same type, you can only deposit in one of them, up to a maximum of £20000.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.