Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2024 08:55:31 GMT by Luisa
Hello! I have recently moved to the UK on a family visa but still hold main residency for the time being in my home country Germany. As I am also still working for my German employer, I will be travelling back and forth between England and Germany to fulfill my job while I finalize the move. I have now been looking into opening up a bank account in England and have some questions in regards to the information that they need for tax purposes. Due to the information above, I do consider myself mainly tax resident in Germany (as I will be partially living and working there), but am unsure if I also count as tax resident in the UK because I have my second residency here now. I have put my information for the bank as being full time employed (because I am in Germany), but will be looking for a job in the UK shortly. I am unsure though as to what I need to fill out when the bank asks for information for the tax residency status. They offer different answers for the option of "Not a UK tax resident" like "Recently moved countries", "None of the above" or "Family address" (because I moved to my husband). I am unsure which the correct course of action would be, as it doesn't offer an option for dual tax residency (which I'm not sure is even correct) and also "Recently moved countries" doesn't completely apply as I have dual residency. Would "None of the above" then be the correct choice? I hope you can help me with this question, as I want to do this process correctly and none of the choices seem to properly apply to this situation. Thank you very much!
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 09:46:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

HMRC cannot advise you on your residence as this is for you to determine based on the guidance here:

RDR3 Statutory Residence Test

For any questions on completing the bank form, you would need to discuss with your bank.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.