Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Setting up bank account/dual tax residency

Hello! I have recently moved to the UK on a family visa but still hold main residency for the time being in my home country Germany. As I am also still working for my German employer, I will be travelling back and forth between England and Germany to fulfill my job while I finalize the move. I have now been looking into opening up a bank account in England and have some questions in regards to the information that they need for tax purposes. Due to the information above, I do consider myself mainly tax resident in Germany (as I will be partially living and working there), but am unsure if I also count as tax resident in the UK because I have my second residency here now. I have put my information for the bank as being full time employed (because I am in Germany), but will be looking for a job in the UK shortly. I am unsure though as to what I need to fill out when the bank asks for information for the tax residency status. They offer different answers for the option of "Not a UK tax resident" like "Recently moved countries", "None of the above" or "Family address" (because I moved to my husband). I am unsure which the correct course of action would be, as it doesn't offer an option for dual tax residency (which I'm not sure is even correct) and also "Recently moved countries" doesn't completely apply as I have dual residency. Would "None of the above" then be the correct choice? I hope you can help me with this question, as I want to do this process correctly and none of the choices seem to properly apply to this situation. Thank you very much!
  • Work for foreign company while living in the UK

I am moving to the UK in a month while still being employed with my German employer. My employer does not have a UK office or presence of any sort, so I will be working fully remotely. The original plan was to be exempt from almost everything at source in Germany apart from the insurances that are equivalent to the UK National Insurance. The difference to UK taxation would then be paid by filling out my own UK tax return. Upon calling the German insurances, they confirmed I could keep paying into them even without residency in Germany, and on the HMRC hotline it was confirmed that I can choose to pay into my state pension and other state insurances either at source or in the UK. However, while preparing those steps of getting me exempt, or ,respectively, staying in the German insurances, my workplace's payroll department has raised the issue that this scenario may not be possible after all, and while they are still confirming this with the insurances in question, that has raised the following question for us: In case I cannot pay the German insurances which are equivalent to NI at source in Germany whilst working in the UK, I would be able to pay the employee's contribution to the NI with filling my UK tax return. But what happens to the employer's contribution in this case, which would normally be paid in Germany? 1) Does the employee (i.e. me) also need to cover the employer's NI contribution when filing the tax return, or 2) is the employer still going to pay his contribution into the German system, or 3) does the employer somehow need to pay his contribution into the UK system (if so, how would this work?), or 4) is the employer's contribution not going to be paid at all, or 5) is this issue solved a completely different way? I would be very grateful if you could help with this concern and lay out what course of action the different tax systems and treaties between Germany and the UK provide for regulating cases like this.