Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2024 20:10:03 GMT by Luka
Hello, My wife and I (UK residents, non-citizens) would like to send up to £30000 from our UK accounts to my parents' account in Serbia as urgent financial help, and we are expecting them to send the same amount back to us in a few months. Since we haven't done this before we were wondering what the tax implications for this were in the UK and if there was anything extra that needs to be done from a legal standpoint given the amount, or if it was as simple as making the transactions and paying the appropriate bank fees? Thank you in advance.
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 15:54:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
There are no Income Tax implications on the giving of or receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends.
These would then potentially be subject to tax. Further guidance can be found here Tax on savings interest and
Tax on dividends
You may also wish to consider speaking to Inheritance Tax regarding any inheritance tax implications. Inheritance Tax: general enquiries
The rules on giving gifts can be found here: How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.