Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 09:57:09 GMT by
Hi HMRC, I am planning to move to the UK on a Skilled Worker Dependent Visa with my spouse for up to 3 years. I will be considered a non-domiciled resident (will be present in the UK more than 6 months out of the year). I plan to continue my employment with my US employer remotely - not working with/for any UK entities. My US salary will not be remitted to the UK and will be solely used in the US when I visit the US (all required taxes will be paid in the US). Total income will be 60,000 GBP per year. Questions: 1. Since I am non-domiciled resident with no remittances of foreign income, is the salary for the work I perform remotely for my US employer while residing in the UK considered foreign sourced income? 2. If this remote work for the US company (remotely working in the UK) is considered foreign sourced income, which means I will have no UK sourced income, do I have to file any taxes (based on paragraph 9.27 of RDR1 linked below)? Again, non of the income will be remitted into the UK. 

eamil add removed admin.
Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:00:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Dave Oafish,

Under the guidlines of the details mentioned, the income is not a UK sourced income and is foreign income that you are not remitting.
You should also refer to section 9.15 to ensure you meet the full requirements that no return is required.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 17:44:55 GMT by
Thanks for confirming the income earned remotely working while present in the UK for my US employer is considered foreign sourced income and qualifies for remittance. I would also like to confirm whether paying for Skilled Worker visa fees and the National Health Surcharge (paid for in Euros prior to coming to the UK) is considered remitted funds?
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 10:53:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Dave Oafish,

Remittance basis only covers foreign income / gains not remitted to the UK.  
As national insurance and skilled worker visa are not income or gains, the remittance basis would not apply to them.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 08:11:56 GMT by
Hi HMRC, could you elaborate/provide references on defining remote work conducted for a U.S. employers while in the UK as foreign sourced income?
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:16:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If you are resident in the UK and you remotely work for a foreign employer, then the income derived from that foreign employer is taxable in the UK, in the tax year it arises.  
A person who is resident and domiciled in the UK, is taxable on their world wide income in the UK:
General earnings from employment: "taxable earnings"
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:40:29 GMT by
Hello, I have a similar question hence my follow up here. Can I clarify the last response, being: “ If you are resident in the UK and you remotely work for a foreign employer, then the income derived from that foreign employer is taxable in the UK, in the tax year it arises.” Is that foreign-sourced or UK sourced income, given the details mentioned in the opening post? If it is foreign-sourced and being a non-dom that has not remitted that foreign income, would it be taxable in the UK?
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:05:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi latteuk,
Please refer to guidance here:
RDRM32110
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 20:25:48 GMT by Emma Kast
Hello, I have the same question as latteuk above, but wasn't able to understand if working remotely (based at a UK home office) for a foreign employer is foreign-sourced income or UK-sourced income based on the guidance you linked. Looking at eim40203 the distinction about foreign vs. domestic income seems to be whether "Duties of employment performed either wholly or partly in the United Kingdom". How does this apply to remote work? I thought that it would mean that remote work for a foreign employer would be UK-based income, but the comments you have given above seem to indicate otherwise? Thanks very much.
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 03:33:20 GMT by
Thank you but I ask because there seems to be conflicting answers or I have misunderstood. On way hand: “ Under the guidlines of the details mentioned, the income is not a UK sourced income and is foreign income that you are not remitting.” Then later: “If you are resident in the UK and you remotely work for a foreign employer, then the income derived from that foreign employer is taxable in the UK, in the tax year it arises.” What is the difference here please so I may understand. Both relate to the OPs situation but seemingly provide two different conclusions. The later:
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 15:17:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If you are located in the UK, while working for an overseas employer that does not have a UK base, then this is foreign employment income.  
The guidance is referring to where the work is carried out, which in this case is in the UK.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 15:32:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If you are located in the UK and remotely undertake employment work in another country for a non UK based employer, then this will be treated as foreign employment income and should be declared on a self assessment tax return.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.