Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 16:06:13 GMT by Vincent GANNIER
Dear Sir or Madam, I worked a year (2022/2023) in London and as I’m french, I then came back to my country. I filled in a repayment of Income Tax form (almost a year ago now !) and got a cheque of a thousand pound delivered to the flat I was living in in London. As I wasn’t there anymore, a friend sent it to me in France and I tried to use it. The thing is, as it’s a UK cheque, a french bank can’t accept it. On the 16/01/2024 I called HMRC and they told me to fill the R38 form so I’ll be able to get my money through bank transfer instead of cheque. I sent the form by post and was informed later on that they actually can't do bank transfer (even if I had to write my bank details in the form..). I sent back my check from France to a friend in the UK so he can give it to my english bank there. He did that and I the check got rejected by the bank (it was added then removed automatically from my bank account) because HMRC apparently blocked it. I already used a hundred pounds in calls and letters trying to solve this. I waited more than an hour few times on phone to contact you for nothing and now I do not even have the cheque anymore. What am I suppose to do to finally get my money, please ? Thank you
Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 11:11:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Vincent GANNIER,
Payable orders and bank transfers can only be paid into UK bank accounts.
If you are not able to make a payment into a UK bank account, your only option would be to nomainate another person to receive the payment on your behalf, so that they can transfer it to you.
If you wish to do this, you would need to write to:
H.M. Revenue and Customs
Pay As You Earn
BX9 1AS
Advising that you returned the cheque and provide the details of the persion to receive the repayment on your behalf.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.