Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Money Transfer

Dear Sir or Madam, I worked a year (2022/2023) in London and as I’m french, I then came back to my country. I filled in a repayment of Income Tax form (almost a year ago now !) and got a cheque of a thousand pound delivered to the flat I was living in in London. As I wasn’t there anymore, a friend sent it to me in France and I tried to use it. The thing is, as it’s a UK cheque, a french bank can’t accept it. On the 16/01/2024 I called HMRC and they told me to fill the R38 form so I’ll be able to get my money through bank transfer instead of cheque. I sent the form by post and was informed later on that they actually can't do bank transfer (even if I had to write my bank details in the form..). I sent back my check from France to a friend in the UK so he can give it to my english bank there. He did that and I the check got rejected by the bank (it was added then removed automatically from my bank account) because HMRC apparently blocked it. I already used a hundred pounds in calls and letters trying to solve this. I waited more than an hour few times on phone to contact you for nothing and now I do not even have the cheque anymore. What am I suppose to do to finally get my money, please ? Thank you