Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:43:56 GMT by
Hello, I have some foreign income & resultant FTCR, made some EIS investments in the year & hence resultant EIS income tax credit. However, unfortunately do not have income to offset all the tax credits. Is there a credit hierarchy? Or can I choose to offset my income tax due against EIS tax credits first & any balance income tax due against FTCR? Thank You
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:06:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi AB CD,
The foreign tax credit is only applicable to other source of income that it has been deducted against and would be limited to the UK tax that was due. EIS relief cannot be set against FTCR.
See further guidance here:
HS341 Enterprise Investment Scheme — Income Tax relief (2023)
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 14:16:02 GMT by
Hi, I'm afraid I don't understand. Are you saying i cannot use EIS relief to offset my UK tax due on foreign income? What I'm asking is that calculating my UK tax inc foreign income, can i offset the calculate tax 1st preferentially against the EIS relief available ...& then use FTCR for balance...as i don't have enough income to use both for this year! & would like to use EIS relief available instead of FTCR. to clarify in numbers say: my tax due is 1500£, FTCR i can claim is 800£, EIS credit available is 1200£. Can i use 1200£ EIS credit & set off balance ie 300£ tax due against FTCR?
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 16:38:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi AB CD,
please refer to:
VCM10530 - Introduction to EIS income tax relief: form and amount of EIS relief
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2023 19:50:12 GMT by
Thank you for this. However, the guidance does not mention FTCR specifically & hence my question. Please could you help & answer the question, whether EIS credit ca be taken ahead of FTCR. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:44:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi AB CD

Enterprise relief is set against the tax liability, before Foreign Tax Credit Relief is calculated.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.