Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:31:02 GMT by
I am in the process of being made redundant, I am a PAYE employee. I would like to undertake professional training courses and exams when unemployed to aid in finding my next job as quickly as possible. My question is can I get any support in doing this e.g. by claiming back the tax via self assessment? While I was an employee, my employer would fund this. As I understand, if I was self employed this would be a claimable business expense, but what about if I am unemployed? Logically, I wouldn’t expect to be at a disadvantage in this circumstance?
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 10:52:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi John,
Training courses to set up a new self employment are not an allowable expense.
Please see guidance here:
Training courses
As you state your employer is funding the courses, these are not being paid by you and no tax relief is due.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 11:00:41 GMT by
Thanks. I said my employer would have funded it while I was employed. My question is if I am unemployed after being made redundant and searching for a new role, is there any tax relief available during that time? This is on the basis that it may make it quicker to find a new job and less time claiming JSA for example.
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 12:51:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi John

No.  There is no tax relief available for the cost of training courses.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.