Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 05 Dec 2023 13:35:14 GMT by
Hi. I am a member of a public sector DB pension scheme, but also have a personal SIPP. I would like to contribute more to the SIPP and maximize this year's annual allowance, but I won't know how much I have utilized in the DB scheme for tax year 23/24 until I receive a statement from CS Pensions in October 2024. Therefore, my question is how do I pay into the SIPP but also ensure I remain within the annual allowance? I'd also like to pay into the previous three year's allowances as I have unused allowance, but can't work out how to do this as I have to fully use this year's allowance before I can pay into previous years (Which I can't do as I can't calculate until the year has finished - at which point the tax year from three years ago will have become four year ago and so too late to overpay into) As a follow-up, how do I claim tax relief from previous year? I am a 40% tax payer. Many thanks for your help Phil
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 11:11:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Phil,
You will need to contact your pension scheme administrator for the details on the amounts paid for any of the years you are looking at.
Please see guidance here:
Pension savings statements
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 11:32:57 GMT by
Hi. Thank you for your response. I understand that, my question is how do I claim for tax from previous tax years. The statement my pension admin provides in October for the previous tax year - once I have that I then want to use the remaining allowance to put into my SIPP (At this point the tax year will be over) So for example in Oct 2024 I will know how much of my allowance I used for the 23/24 tax year. Can I then pay into my SIPP for 23/24 to use the allowance, and also into the three tax years prior to it? How do I claim for these - is it all in the tax return for 23/24 of do I need to fill a tax return for the previous financial years seperately? Thank you Phil
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:40:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi Phil

You do not need to declare it unless you have exceeded the annual allowance and used all the previous available allowance. 
Take a look at guidance at HS345 Pension savings — tax charges (2023)

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.