Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 11:56:39 GMT by
I am a UK citizen, moved permanently to an EU nation last year. When in the UK, I was full-time employed, since moving to EU I am working as self-employed, with a mixture of clients from EU and UK. I am reporting my income and filing taxes in my new country of residence. I'm trying to fill out the P85 form to tell HMRC I've left the country, but many of the questions on the form are unclear. "Your Employment Status" — if I answer 'yes' to "Have you started, or do you plan to start, a job outside the UK?" it then asks for various details of employer and employment, with no options relating to self-employment. "Your employer" —Who is your employment income paid by? An international employer; A UK employer through a UK payroll; An office or agent in the UK Again, in my case income will be coming from mixed sources, including some UK clients Etc. Should I instead be answering "No" to the original question of "Have you started, or do you plan to start, a job outside the UK?", despite the fact I am working and earning income in my new country?
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:08:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Alex E,
To give you the correct advice, we may require more information about your employments and country of residence
Please contact us by webchat or phone here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:30:42 GMT by
Thanks, I've been on hold for the last 20 minutes and the automated webchat doesn't seem to understand my request. For reference, the new country of residence is Portugal
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 18:02:33 GMT by Mila
I am also interested in the answer for these questions as I also moved away from the UK (I was on work visa in the UK) to the USA and opened their my own business. I also consult few clients in the UK so I have the same questions when filling this form
Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 16:15:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Mila,
For assistance with the P85 please contact our helpline Income Tax: general enquiries or information online Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK (P85)
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 20:22:47 GMT by Mila
I have checked both of these pages and contacted the Income Tax: general enquiries, however, I couldn't find this information/get support with getting an answer to this question. Who else can help/where else I could find the answer to the questions the author addressed above?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.