Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2024 13:59:27 GMT by macbeth10
Hi, I'm about to apply for UK citizenship, but wanted to understand the implications of having British citizenship on inheritance tax and other forms of tax before I do so. Assuming I have British citizenship: 1. I am domiciled in UK and a citizen of UK, but not my father and mother, do I need to pay any form of UK tax from the inheritance from my father and mother (assets are outside of UK )? 2. I am domiciled in UK and a citizen of UK. If I live in UK less than 183 days a year and give up the UK benefits in future, would I need to declare as a non-resident of UK or would that be automatic already? Would I need to pay any form of UK tax anymore? 3. I am domiciled in UK and a citizen of UK. If I give up my UK citizenship, am I liable to pay UK tax anymore in future? 4. How long does it take to give up the UK citizenship? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 01 Aug 2024 09:57:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
1. no    
2.  HMRC cannot comment on future events as legislation may change.  
3.  as in 2.   
4.  that is not for HMRC to answer as it is not a tax question.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 01 Aug 2024 13:49:38 GMT by macbeth10
Hi, For 2 and 3, what about based on the current legislation? Thanks!
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 08:45:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

We can only provide general information and guidance in this forum. For an answer to a detailed question of this nature, you would need to contact our Self Assesment team for advice or seek professional advice.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.