Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 24 Dec 2023 08:30:06 GMT by alfo926
In the next tax year I will have earned income of around £9,000, and savings interest income of £5,000. This will make my total income for the year around £14,000. Would I still be able to claim Marriage Allowance to transfer £1,260 of my Personal Allowance to my wife, who will earn £18,000 employment income for the year? If I was to do this, I understand that my income would still fall entirely within the combined allowances of my remaining Personal Allowance and the Starting Rate for Savings?
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 08:32:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If it is more beneficial for you to do this, yes. You can see guidance here:

Marriage Allowance

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 09:02:47 GMT by alfo926
Thank you for this reply. The guidance on the Marriage Allowance states: "To benefit as a couple, you (as the lower earner) must normally have an income below your Personal Allowance - this is usually £12,570." The use of "must" in this statement implied some kind of restriction, but am I correct in interpreting from your response that I am allowed to opt to transfer part of my allowance even if my income is greater, and it's my responsibility to ensure it's beneficial for me?
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:40:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi alfo926,
That is correct. by transferring the allowance, you could end up with an underpayment whilst your partner gets a refund.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.