Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 08 Jul 2023 15:32:45 GMT by
I have received a letter from HMRC regarding the disclosure of income and gains from overseas. I always did my due diligence and declared the same, so I will respond marking that option. However, I need to specify the boxes in my tax return that I used. It's more or less clear to me that I need to refer to several boxes in foreign pages in relation to rental income, gains, etc. Some years I had capital gains from the sale of listed shares in the US, which, following the guidance, was not reported in the foreign pages but in the capital gains summary (SA108), so I will refer to box 26 of that section, I understand this would be correct? Also, the form is explicitly asking about income and gains, but I had losses some years, should I refer to box 27 in SA108, or this is not necessary as losses are not of course gains?
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:29:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Oscar Palgal,

Foreign capital gains are reported on SA108, so that they can be included in the calculations.
If you paid foreign tax on the gains, then you show the gains in SA106 as well, as this allows you to claim a foreign tax credit relief.
You can claim for losses for the last 4 tax years (19/20 to 22/23).  
You would declare this on the capital gains page and elect what to do with the losses, eg carry forward and set against future gains.  
For 19/20 & 20/21, it is too late to amend your tax returns, so you will need to submit a losses claim in writing to HM Revenue and Customs Self Assessment BX9 1AS.  
There is information on losses at

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.