Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 23:28:31 GMT by
1. I know that I have to use the exchange rate for coverting the USD to GBP on purchase and sale date separately, can I use the monthly exchange rate and /or yearly average rate found in HMRC website instead? If spot rate must be used, how can I got the exchange rate on these two days? 2. The dividend (USD) received by the listed shares that is listed, and I bought, in USA stock exchange but a Canadian Company because of dual listing, is there any difference regarding double taxation relief? Can I treat them as a dividend from USA? 3. I have invested some US government bonds and all of the gains will be treated as income, in my first year the total interest payment is more than interest income, how can I reported? 4. Bond commission of US$5 and Securities fee of $1 for securities acquisition have to be figured out for non-deduction of tax? Regards Andy 633
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 15:20:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

Under the terms of Self Assessment, we do not provide an official exchange rate and the onus is on the individual to use a just and reasonable exchange rate for each acquisition and disposal.  For your convenience, there is an Annual rate, a spot rate and a monthly rate at UK Government Web Archive/and
Exchange rates from HMRC in CSV and XML format.  
You are free to choose any of those rates or a rate from another source, such as the London Stock Exchange.  The dividend can be treated as from the USA.
US government bonds, sometimes known as T-bills or treasury bills are generally taxed as income rather than capital gains.  The return is paid at maturity rather than regular interest payments.  
In the UK, these are known as deeply discounted securities, with the discount being the difference between the price at which they were issued and the price received at maturity.  
On a foreign investment the income is the difference between the purchase and redemption price after each has been converted to sterling on the day the transactions took place, so includes any foreign exchange gains.  
Losses cannot be deducted.  If you invest in deeply discounted securities, put the difference between what you paid for the bond and what you redeem or sell it for in box 3 of SA101 (page Ai1). Additional information (2023)
Where the bonds are acquired from a broker, the bond commission and security fee, is included in the price the bond was issued at and used to work out the discount on the price received at maturity.
Have a look at SAIM3010 - Deeply discounted securities: introduction for more information.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 10:13:44 GMT by
Thanks, Therefore, I can use HMRC yearly average rate for bond purchasing and maturity calculation? Please confirm Where the amount of gain on bonds, that means Taxable Income from bonds, to be filled at online tax return? Foreign Interest Income Section? I did not find any section regarding bonds' income. Thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.